KELVIN® announces a NEW hands-on lab that is ideal for homeschooling, schools, and camps, as well as museums and workshops. This problem-solving activity includes a general guide and parts.
This is the perfect lab for:
- TEACHERS who need an affordable curriculum with weeks worth of activities.
- PARENTS that are looking for fun and educational activities for the home in place of cancelled summer programs.
- ADMINISTRATORS seeking a S.T.E.M. program that they can distribute easily through teachers for students staying at home.
Focused around “The Motorboat Book”, by Ed Sobey Ph.D., this lab provides students the tools, guidance, and freedom to explore over 20+ boat designs. Students learn about design, gears, motors, propulsion, solar, propellers, and more. From basic sailboat designs to more complex motorized motor boats. Activities incorporate materials that can be found in the student’s environment such as milk cartons, plastic bottles, plastic plates and cups.
Boat Models to Include:
- Sail Boats
- Gravity Powered Boat
- Balloon-Powered Boat
- Rubber Band-Powered Boat
- Side Paddle-Wheeler
- Fan Boat
- Motor Duck Boat
- Belt Drive Boat
- Gear Drive Boat
- Water Jet Boat
- Solar-Powered Boat
- Pneumatic Jet Boat
- Baking Soda Submarine
Each kit includes:
-  The Motorboat Book
-  Dowel Rod - 1/4 in. dia x 18 in. long (cut to size)
-  Dowel Rod - 1/8 in. dia x 18 in. long (cut to size)
-  Propeller - Nose Hook
-  Propeller - 3-Blade, 3 in. dia.
-  Propeller - Boat, 1 in. dia.
-  Motor, 3-6 V DC
-  Motor, Solar
-  Solar Cell, 2 V DC, 200 mA
-  Battery Holder, 4-AA
-  Battery Holder, 2-AA
-  Battery Holder, 1-AA
-  Craft Sticks
-  Rubber bands
-  Alligator Leads
-  Knife Switch SPST
-  Wheels Geared
-  Pulley Pack, 4 sizes
-  Gears Pack, 4 sizes
-  Gear & Pulley Combo (fits motor 3-6 V DC)
-  Reducers, CD (1/4 in.) to Wheel (1/8 in.)
-  Straws, 1/4 in. dia.
-  Balloons
-  Vinyl Tubing 1/8” Dia., 2 in. long
-  Vinyl Tubing, 1/4 Dia., 6 in. long
-  Water Pump
-  Blue Foam, 1 x 3 x 10 in.
-  Foam Tray, 1.25 x 7 x 9.5 in.
-  Aluminum Pan, 8 x 6 in.
-  Aluminum Foil Sheets, 12 x 12 in.
-  Paper Cups, 16 oz., Coated
-  Paper Plates, 9 in. dia., Coated
-  Sheets of DesignGrid™ Paper (11 x 17 in.)
-  Duct Tape, 10 yards, 2 in. wide
Please Note: This is a problem-solving activity that, depending on your design, requires working with hand tools for cutting and shaping. Adult or teacher supervision is required. The supplied book has general plans with example pictures. AA and 9V batteries are sold separately.